Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
First Bus Terminal, 1929


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Potomac Edison Dedicates Third Bus Terminal in East

March 30th The Potomac Edison Company held open house at the new Blue Ridge Transportation Company's bus terminal in Hagerstown. A general invitation was sent out to the public through personal invitations and ads for the inspection of this new building of which the company is justly proud. Hagerstown has become an important exchange and transfer point for the large motor coach companies whose lines run into the city. Our own Blue Ridge coaches run through daily from Baltimore and Washington to Pittsburgh.

The new terminal has been built in cooperation with the Alexander Hotel Corporation whose new ten story hotel it adjoins. The building is 45 feet in width, fronting on East Washington Street, and runs back to a depth of 105 feet. The second floor is equipped as a ballroom and banquet hall for use by the hotel. The terminal facilities consist of approximately 3500 square feet which includes floor space for the loading and unloading of six coaches at one time and storage of others and a large and extremely attractive waiting room.

Entrance is made from East Washington Street, through a door 30 feet in width. After loading, the coaches proceed out of the rear where a one way thoroughfare and restricted parking has been put in effect by the cooperation of the city authorities.

The waiting room is finished artistically, the woodwork is of walnut finish while the walls and lighting harmonize in a pleasing manner. The seats are high backed, of walnut finish, and so located that patrons can observe the incoming busses through a large clear glass window. Information desks and ticket counters are modern in design and expedite the selling of tickets and serving of customers.

The front window has on it a map showing the entire system operated by the "Scenic Route" as the Blue Ridge Lines are termed.

Prompt and efficient servicing of busses is assured by advantageous location of gas and oil pumps and further convenience of travellers is taken care of by a baggage and checking room.

The formal opening was attended by over 2500 citizens of Hagerstown and nearby communities. Mayor Mulsy, local service club presidents and other prominent citizens were also present as were many school children to whom special invitations had been sent. During the evening a seven piece orchestra furnished entertainment and drawings were held for prizes which included two round trip tickets for either Pittsburgh, Baltimore of Washington.

There are only two other cities in the east having bus terminal facilities—New York and Baltimore. Everyone who visited the new Hagerstown station was generous in praise and felt that The Potomac Edison Company has taken an important step in the growth and development of Hagerstown.




ID:
wcbt017

Creator:
Potomac Edison News

Date:
1929-05

Collection Location:
WCFL

Subject:
Bus terminal, Hagerstown (Md.) , 1940-1960.

Coverage:
Hagerstown, Md., 1940-1970

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image