The presence of President Harrison in the city and in the procession increased the ardor of the spectators and they gave vent to their joy in prolonged cheers as the passed. At the reviewing stand on Washington street, the enthusiasm was no less spontaneous, and it occurred to many that the presence of the President of the United States upon this historic spot was a fitting link to bind the events of a little over a hundred years ago, when George Washington, the fist President of the United States, stood upon the same ground, then almost a barren waste, to the new century of the county's existence about to begin.
At 12:15 the train bearing the Presidential party arrived and the procession started in the following order…
Company I Fifth Regiment, N.G.P, Bedford county. Commanded by Captain Robert C. McManus and Lieutenant Samuel S. Grouse, headed the military display. The company, 50 men, made an imposing appearance and received frequent applause for their soldiery bearing.
Second Battalion.—Headed by Lieut. Col. George A. Pearre, mounted upon “Frank,” the gray charger of the Battalion, accompanied by his Staff, Adjutant McDonald, Surgeon Brace, Quartermaster Woodrow, and Commissary Beall, all mounted.
Company D - Twenty five muskets, commanded by Captain Smith and Lieutenant Mason.
Company A - Thirty muskets, commanded by Capt. Neill Woodrow and Lieutenants Kolb and Gray.
Company C - Forty muskets, commanded by Capt. Wm. McDermott and Lieut. James Rawlings
Company B - Twenty eight muskets, Capt H.A Chisholm, Lieutenant Jamison commanding.
Allegany Guards – Twenty-six muskets, commanded by Captain Burgee and Lieut. George Cooper.
...(from Cumberland Daily News, September 26, 1889, page 2. Cutting in Mr. Luman's journal).
Photograph from the Herman and Stacia Miller Collection and used with permission of the Mayor and City Council of Cumberland, Maryland
This was labelled in the Miller collection as "Fireman's parade on Baltimore St. large crowd of spectators - 1889", but the angle and background is very similar to that of a photograph labelled as the Centennial Celebration.
City of Cumberland
8 x 12 cms
Allegany County (Md.)--History.
Allegany County (Md.), 1889.