Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
LaVale Library, 1976


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Members of the LaVale Century Club, a women's service organization, opened a public children's library in the first floor rear room of the Rexall Drug Store in 1953. The Club purchased books and paid operating expenses with funds received from card parties and a yearly bazaar.

In 1956 a local realtor deeded the vacated State Police Barracks to the Century Club, which renovated and named it the LaVale Public Library. Four years later it became a branch of the Allegany County Library System.
Over the next decade books filled the shelves from top to bottom, were stored on book trucks, table tops, and in the rest room. There was no room to display magazines and newspapers nor for patrons to sit down.

Under the leadership of the LaVale Civic Improvement Association, funds were obtained to build a new 8,800 sq. ft. colonial library, which was completed in 1975. To quote the Cumberland Evening Times "the new LaVale Library... is one of the most beautifully designed public buildings to ever be built in this area."

The new branch serves a current population of approximately 13,000 people and has a capacity of 26,000 volumes, 85 periodical subscriptions, and 1,000 recordings. There are seating accommodations for 40 adults and 20 children. The conference room will
accommodate 100 people and there is a kitchen for preparing light refreshments. A bookmobile port is located at the rear of the building and the parking lot has a capacity for 33 vehicles.

During the last fiscal year the LaVale Library had a circulation of 99,320 and an attendance of 620 at its Summer Programs.
Mrs. Katherine Mosner is the Branch Librarian. Nancy Gallagher is in charge of the Children's Room. Mary Joan McDonald is Circulation Librarian, and Janet Miller Interlibrary Loan Librarian.

From 1973 Allegany County Library Profile




ID:
acla018

Creator:
Kelly-Springfield

Collection Location:
ACLS

Subject:
Public libraries, Maryland, Allegany County; Allegany county Library System (Md.), Anniversaries.

Coverage:
Allegany County (Md,), 1960-2010

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image