Story of Hagerstown Maryland, 1911
J. F. LEWIS, Staple and Fancy Groceries, Corner Potomac and Lee Streets. This is the oldest established store in this part of the City, and the trade is exceedingly large. Mr. Lewis commenced the business about 12 years ago. He adopted popular methods at the start, and has always handled the very purest goods on the market and has therefore succeeded in gaining the good will and general support of the residents throughout this locality. His store is nicely arranged and the stock is attractively displayed. Orders are promptly filled and delivered to any part of the City. Mr. Lewis, personally, looks after the management of his business.
MISS FRIDA HETTINGER.—Up-to-date hair dressing and manicure parlors, hair goods of all kinds, No. 24 ½ North Potomac Street. The elegant parlors of Miss Frida Hettinger who conducts the leading beauty establishment of Hagerstown, are the favorite resorts of the society ladies of the City, who seek to preserve their comliness with the aid of a skilled artist. Miss Hettinger is eminently qualified, both by nature and training for her exacting profession. She caters only to the best trade, and has the patronage of the elite society of the City and vicinity. The parlors are fitted up with the most modern appliances, including electric vibrator, hair dryer, massaging apparatus, etc. Several skilled assistants are employed.
PEOPLES NATIONAL BANK.—Business men, manufacturers and citizens of Hagerstown have every reason to be proud of the banking facilities of the City, for the banks are conservative, sound and conducted upon the most improved plans of modern financial science. The Peoples National Bank was organized in 1893, and has steadily increased in strength, which is the most eloquent witness of stability and prosperity of the institution. It has a Capital of $100,000.00, Surplus Fund of $50,000.00, Undivided Profits $18,000.00, Deposits $565,226.00, according to Statement of June 7, 1911. Total resources according to same Statement was, $834,532.58. The condition of the Bank is highly satisfactory to all concerned in its management, and to the depositors and patrons. A general banking business is transacted, and a liberal rate of interest is paid on savings accounts. The officers are: John L. Nicodemus, President; Geo. W. Eyerly, Vice Pres.; Chas. E. Hilliard, Cashier. The Directors are: Jno. L. Nicodemus, Geo. W. Eyerly, Jas E. S. Pryor, Boaz Gardenour, Thos, L. Reichard, J. A. Mason, (Attorney), D. A. Thomas, J. McPherson Scott, David Lesher, Milton Kohler, W. H. Armstrong.
THE ARLINGTON DRUG COMPANY.—This business is located at the Southwest Corner of Antietam and Mulberry Streets, and it is generally regarded as one of the best equipped stores in the City. It is the only drug establishment located in the East End, and has a fine patronage. The store is modern in its appointments, and contains a handsome Soda Fountain, where all the delightful drinks of the season are served. The general stock comprises everything usually carried by strictly high-class drug establishments. Prescriptions are filled with accuracy. The business has now been established for two years. The Company is incorporated, and since July, 1910, Mr. J. E. Douglass has had active charge of the business. He is a druggist of 14 years experience, and has a thorough knowledge of every detail of the drug industry. He is a native of the Eastern Shore of Maryland. He thinks Hagerstown is a fine City, and has a bright future.
W. H. REISNER MFG CO.—Hagerstown has, indeed, become noted for its great variety of manufacturing interests. Among the most noted is the W. H. Reisner Manufacturing Company, devoted to the manufacture of mechanical and optical instruments, and the King Minnow Net, Pipe Organ hardware and accessories, light manufacturing, stamped metal work, and nickel plating. This plant is located at No. 10 and No. 12 South Jonathan Street, and a number of very highly skilled men are employed. The products are snipped throughout the United States, and to many foreign countries, including England, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Cuba, Australia, etc. The products are sold principally to jobbers and manufacturers. The business has been established for about eight years, and has grown constantly from the very beginning. Each and every product turned out has special merit. The officers of the Company are, M. P. Moller, President; J. F. Roessner, Vice-President; W. H. Reisner, Secretary and Treasurer. Mr. W. H. Reisner is also an Optometrist of state-wide and national fame. He has had about 22 years practical experience, and for three years has been Secretary of the State Optical Society, and takes an active interest in the affairs of the National Optical Society.
S. L. V. YOUNG, Real Estate, loans, and insurance.— Reliability is one of the strong points to this firm, and since Mr. Young established the business about seven years ago, he has had remarkable success. Mr. Young is a native of Frederick County, and has resided in Hagerstown for about 20 years. He has almost a perfect knowledge of the present and prospective values of property, which renders him a very desirable agent through which to consummate deals. He handles all classes of City and Suburban property, including some of the finest residence and business locations in the community. He has plenty of money to lend on good security, and writes fire insurance in reliable companies. You are sure of fair treatment and genuine satisfaction in all transactions with Mr. S. L. V. Young. 'Phone connections. No man in the City in this line of business has a higher reputation for integrity and high business principles. Office No. 1 S. Jonathan Street, Second Floor.
Clarence E. Weaver
Illustrations: Presbyterian Church and St. Paul's United Brethren Church.
Western Maryland Room, Washington County Free Library
23 x 31 cms
Mail Publishing Co., Hagerstown
Business enterprises, Maryland, Hagerstown
Hagerstown (Md.), 1911