Scharf's History of Washington Cemetery, page 1
History of Western Maryland
Washington Cemetery.— In 1870 the Legislature appropriated five thousand dollars to pay the expense of removing the bodies of the Confederate dead from the battle-fields in this section, and the commission appointed selected a portion of Rose Hill as the most suitable place. The removals began in September, 1872. On Feb. 28, 1877, a beautiful monument was erected by the managers of the cemetery and dedicated to the Confederate dead. The body of the monument is of Scotch granite of Aberdeen, of a beautiful brown, dappled with varied hues; the base is a solid, heavy stone of American granite from Richmond; upon the top is a marble figure more than five feet in height, representing Hope leaning upon her anchor, with flowing robes, and upon her brow is set a star (perhaps the "single star of the Confederacy"). Upon the front of the die facing the cemetery is the inscription, "The STATE OF MARYLAND has provided this cemetery and erected this monument to perpetuate the memory of the Confederate dead who fell in the battles of Antietam and South Mountain." On the right side we read, "The State of Virginia has contributed toward the burial of her dead within this cemetery," and on the left the same of West Virginia.
On Tuesday, the 15th [marginal note by Pruett - "article error, should be the 12th"] of June, 1877, the Washington Confederate Cemetery, near Hagerstown, was dedicated and decorated for the first time. The weather was very fine, and there was an immense concourse of people within the grounds. The arrangements were under the direction of Col. H. Kyd Douglas, president of the board of trustees of the cemetery, seconded by Mr. P.A. Witmer. The first arrival occurred about eight o’clock in the morning, when a train from Martinsburg, via the Cumberland Valley road, reached Hagerstown with over six hundred excursionists. Among these was Capt. Charles J. Faulkner’s company of the Berkeley Light Infantry, numbering eighty men. About the same time the two regular trains of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad came in, bringing about two hundred people from the lower districts of the county. At half-past eight o’clock a delegation from Shepherdstown, headed by Col. W.A. Morgan, trustee of the cemetery on behalf of West Virginia, and accompanied by the Shepherdstown Cornet Band, arrived on the scene, and shortly before noon a special car of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad bearing Gen. Fitzhugh Lee reached Hagerstown, and was met by Maj. George Freaner, Col. H. Kyd Douglas, and Dr. A.S. Mason, who conducted Gen. Lee to Maj. Freaner’s residence, where he was entertained. Maj. Freaner had been a member of Gen. Lee’s staff during the war. At noon a train arrived from Baltimore, via the Western Maryland Railroad, and soon after two trains of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad came in, one of them from Washington, and the other from Baltimore. The excursionists from Frederick returned home on learning of a railroad accident which had occurred at Point of Rocks. Among them was James Gambrill, one of the trustees of the cemetery. In Hagerstown the day was universally given up to the celebration. Many of the citizens kept open house and invited persons to lunch or dine with them. Although it was Tuesday, the county "public day," very little business was transacted. It is thought that at
J. Thomas Scharf
[marginal note by Pruett - article error, should be the 12th] of June 1877 for the dedication
Western Maryland Room, WCFL
Publisher: Louis H. Everts.
Maryland, History, Civil War, 1861-1865, Registers of dead; Cemeteries, Maryland, Washington County; Confederate States of America, Army, Maryland.
Washington and Frederick Counties (Md.), 1868