Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Court House Square, page 5

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


One of the last principals of the Academy was Professor John J. Tipton who presided from 1926 to 1928. Professor Tipton was also Secretary of the Board of Directors of the Cumberland Free Public Library.

In 1934 at the request of the Directors of the Library, the building was remodeled for library use by the Maryland Division of the Civil Works Administration and the Commissioners of Allegany County. The Commissioners generously gave the building to the city of Cumberland for use as a Library.

On June 19, 1934, the formal dedication of the Academy Building as the Cumberland Free Public Library was made by Honorable Albert C. Ritchie, Governor of Maryland.

The lamp of learning lit at the edge of the wilderness 155 years ago continues to burn for the modern descendant of the pioneers.

Mary G. Walsh is the Librarian at the Cumberland Free Library. This post she has held for many years. Thoroughly informed as to local history several years ago she was commissioned to write a series of ten stories for radio broadcasting, among them the story of the Founder of Cumberland—"Thomas Beall of Samuel."

Allegany Inn Algonquin Hotel Fort Cumberland Hotel Windsor Hotel


Mary G. Walsh


Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Maryland, History


Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image