The Itinerant Perikomian page 2
hism to his pupils. He was supported in his contention by four members, two of whom were members of the Church Council. His dismissal followed, together with the withdrawal from St. Luke's of four members, who possessed enough Lutheran consciousness to demand that their children should share what their fathers had handed down to them. The first Pastor of Trinity, the Rev. F. Julius Blitz, came to Cumberland in response to our Call, from Dessen, Cape Girardeau County, Missouri, and was installed on October 5, 1853." The present Pastor is the Rev. Gerhard A. Wagner.
EMMANUEL EPISCOPAL CHURCH, The Rev. H. Maunsell Richardson, Rector, is celebrating this Fall its Sesqui-Centennial. The Rev. Richardson has prepared and published a book "The Church on the Fort" with pictures of this imposing structure and portraits of most of its Rectors, a total of twenty-four having served Emmanuel since 1803. The Rev. John Kewley, the first Rector, was formerly a doctor. He was ordained priest by Bishop Claggett, the first Bishop of Maryland.
The first twenty-four years of Emmanuel were without a church building and without a clergyman-leader. The congregation held its services in the log-cabin church of the Lutherans on the present site of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. The Presbyterians at first worshipped there also. By 1830 Emmanuel's first church home, a brick affair, was consecrated by the Assistant Bishop of Virginia, the Rt. Rev. William Meade. Shortly afterwards Emmanuel's new Rector, the Rev. Leonard Holliday Johns, was ordained a priest. From then on Emmanuel has been continuously served by outstanding and successful Rectors.
The brick church was replaced by the present Gothic stone structure in 1849. Rev. Richardson's History of Emmanuel contains many items of special interest, such as Octavius Perinchief and the Buels. Quoting from page 17: "Mr. Buel (The Rev. Samuel Buel) was the first of three brothers to serve the parish as rectors. His next younger brother, Rev. David Hillhouse Buel, followed immediately in his steps, and his youngest brother, Rev. Clarence Buel, a half-century later. Each of the Buels was present for critical events in the life of Emmanuel, and today their memorial still stands, the present building of Emmanuel Episcopal Church."
In the back of "The Church on the Fort" are appendices. Appendix One reveals that the first Vestry on record (1853 ) was composed of the following: David Lynn, Upton Bruce, Hanson Briscoe, Patrick Murdock, Robert Tevis, George Hebb, John Beall and William Hilleary. The first Warden was John Galloway Lynn. The present Wardens are Somerville Nicholson and George F. Hazelwood. Appendix Two is a Book of Memorials compiled by Miss Margery Ivolue Muncaster, and Appendix Three consists of short biographical sketches of the twenty-four rectors.
Felix G. Robinson
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms