Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Native Man in Garrett County page 8


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



ner and Sunnyside schools visited the site of the Indian camp and fort when the writer told them about the Ashbys who were the first white men to occupy it. Also in June 1950 C. E. Hoye and the writer visited it.

CAMP AT FRIENDS

In 1765 John, Charles and Augustine Friend, from the Potomac Valley visited an Indian camp, presumably one of the more permanent villages, along the Youghiogheny River at what is now Friendsville. They purchased the village and surrounding corn fields from the Indians. In this meeting and transaction between the white man and native we have an instance of fair dealing that bore the good fruit of friendship and good will. In the summer of 1950, accompanied by Capt Hoye, the writer visited this site. They were fortunate to find a number of Indian relics which are in the possession of The Carnegie Museum, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

GRASSY CABIN

In 1767 this tract was surveyed for Capt. Thomas Bassett and patented to him by Governor Horatio Sharpe of Maryland. "Old Town Creek" is now known as Casselman River, one of the main tributaries of the Youghiogheny River. It was known to Washington and Braddock as Little Crossings—and is near the community of Grantsville. Scharf




ID:
gctg015

Creator:
Rev. J. C. Breuninger

Notes:
This picture was taken June 15, 1946 on the site of the Indian camp and cornfield along Cherry Creek, Gortner, Md. Standing left to right: Mr. Virgil Kight, Mrs. Daniel Swartzentruber, Rev. J. C. Breuninger, and Edward Kight. Seventeen years ago this land was owned by Daniel Swartzentruber. Today it is the property of Mr. and Mrs. Atlee Hershberger. Picture through the courtesy Mr. Cecil Kight.

Date:
Summer 1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image