George Rinehart page 8
A document has been preserved that describes the contract between Ann Thayer, teacher, and William Ashby, Jesse Ashby, John Arnold, Stephen Thayer, Tolliver Childs (Chiles), David Sharpless and George Rinehart, trustees. It was signed January 13, 1823 by which the above-mentioned trustee-patrons agreed to pay the teacher, Ann Thayer, the sum of $2.00 per scholar together with board for three months, commencing January 13, 1823. The school-mistress "bound herself to teach reading, writing and arithmetic to the scholars committed to her care."
Another teacher, Nathaniel G. Campbell, in a letter to George Rinehart lists the following patrons: William Ashby, Mr. Jefferson, Thornton and Edward Gilpin, Henry Lower, Franklin Chase, Stephen Thayer, David Sharpless, John Arnold Sr., Israel Thompson (who later moved to Ryan's Glade on the east side of Backbone Mountain), Benjamin J. Gregg, George Lower, James Childs (Chiles). There were twenty-one
Rev. J. C. Breuninger
Rev. George A. Royer, Pastor of Old Plank Lutheran Church at Red House, who confirmed the Rev. J. C. Breuninger. From the Martha Hinebaugh Robinson Collection.
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Editor: Felix G. Robinson
Western Maryland, 1750-1963