Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Giant twins (Gortner) page 11


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



road which was then under construction. The railroad arrived in the Glades in 1851. Farm products were then in demand at good prices in order to supply the construction workers of the railroad. With a reliable cash market for his produce he was able to make payments on his farm according to schedule. In later years he bought the Swann Meadow Tract on which he settled his sons. The homestead now belongs to his grandchildren, the children of Rev. John G. Breuninger and his wife Mary.

"The village of Gortner now stands on a part of the Swan Meadow estate. Another part was later owned by General Benjamin F. Kelley after retiring from the Civil War. The Gortners built a steam grist mill and saw mill; also a school, a union church and postoffice. Peter Gortner II helped to establish a store and operated it along with the postoffice which took the name of Gortner. It was later sold to W. E. Spoerlein who moved it across the highway where it was dismantled in 1959 for the purpose of widening the highway. Forrest Gortner operated a store and service station near the earlier store. (James Adams now operates the store and rents it from Forrest Gortner.)

"Peter Gortner was a well educated man. From the time of his marriage he kept a Journal in the German language. Fortunately it has been translated into English. Among prized family heirlooms the Breuningers have some blue and white dishes brought by their grandparents from Prussia, and a cup and saucer wedding present to Peter and Barbara




ID:
gctg073

Creator:
Rev. J. C. Breuninger

Notes:
The log cabin of Peter Gortner at Gortner. It was built by John Swann Jr. in 1810. This cabin was on the high ground southwest of the present service station. In December 1880, it was destroyed by fire. In the picture are shown Mrs. Peter Gortner and her son, Frederick. Mrs. Gortner is to be seen to the right making domestic soap. Courtesy Harper's Magazine, June 1880.

Date:
1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image