Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Kitzmiller on the Potomac, page 6

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


that developed the town and it is to them that the citizens look for their progress in the future.

The virgin forests on the hillside provided the first major industry. Then came the discovery and subsequent mining of the coal. With the utilization of the lumber and coal, the town prospered.

Prior to 1894, small scale lumbering had been done. Tom and Henry G. Davis had floated logs down the Potomac to their saw mill at Pine Swamp, near Bloomington. Oak had been cut for barrel staves for the local factory. But in the spring of 1894, the largest lumber operation began.

Most of the hill land above the river was owned by the Manor Mining and Manufacturing Company of Baltimore. A farm implement manufacturing establishment of York, Pennsylvania, Hench, Dromgold and Shull bought the timber rights and began operations under the management of Mr. Shull.

Their mill and store was located at Dill, later renamed Potomac Manor. They built the first bridge there, which washed away in the flood of 1896. Mr. Stanley Bender, one of Kitzmiller's oldest citizens, was employed by this company.


Ruth Hutson Ryan

Mouth of coal mine on east side of Backbone Mountain


Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Maryland, History

Western Maryland, 1750-1963

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image