Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Map of Allegany with Folck's Mill

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


This map, based on an 1875 map of Allegany County, marks in red the towns of Hancock, Cumberland, Old Town (along the C&O Canal and the Potomac River) and Paddy Town.

Keyser was originally called Paddy Town after Patrick McCarty, son of one of the original settlers. With the coming of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1852, the name was changed to New Creek Station and then to New Creek. In 1861 the Civil War came rumbling through the valley. Fort Fuller was built on the present site of Potomac State College, and Fort Piano entrenchments were established on New Creek Mountain. In 1874, the town was incorporated as Keyser to honor William Keyser, Vice President of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Folck's Mill, also known as Pleasant Mill, was located on Evitt's Creek near Elk Run near the road between Hancock and Cumberland. The remains of the mill are across Route 68 from the Ali Ghan Shrine, two miles east of Cumberland.


John F. Weishampel and WMRL

Based on a Map of Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia (Washington D.C.) by John F. Weishampel, Jr., a Baltimore bookseller and stationer, 1875.


Collection Location:
Allegany College of Maryland

Allegany County (Md.), History. Civil War, 1861-1865; Cumberland (Md.), History, Civil War, 1861-1865.

Cumberland (Md.), 1864

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image