Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Emanual Athey, Captain of the "Round Top"

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


Famous Canal Boatman Sick

Had Charge Of Boat "Round Top”
Which Hauled Cement To Nation’s Capital

Emanuel Athey, one of the oldest residents of Hancock, is critically ill. Mr. Athey, in the heyday of the Chesapeake and Ohio canal, had charge of the famous boat, "Round Top," owned by Bridges and Henderson, which hauled cement to Washington and Cumberland from the Round Top mill. Much cement that entered into the construction of government and other buildings in Washington 40 or 60 years ago, was taken there by Captain Athey. He was known the entire length of the waterway because of his affable, obliging manner and uniform good nature. He had been a member of the vestry of St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Hancock, for many years. He is prominent in Masonic circles.

The Daily Mail Hagerstown, MD May 6, 1925


Funeral of Emanuel Athey

The funeral of Emanuel Athey, aged 82, a native of Allegany county, near this city, who went to Hancock, Md. before the Civil War and entered the employ of Bridges & Henderson, will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock from St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Hancock, of which he was senior warden. Mr. Athey was with the firm of Bridges & Henderson and its successors for 45 years. For many years he operated the cement boat, "Round Top,” on the canal, and was widely known as "Captain" Athey.

Mr. Athey was a treasurer of the Masonic lodge at Hancock for 30 years and was a charter member of Hancock lodge of the Knights of Pythias. He was also a member of the Improved Order of Red Men. Four daughters survive: Mrs. J. William Murray, Cumberland; Mrs. Mollie McKinley, Hancock, and Mrs. William H. Love and Mrs. Solomon E. Exline, Pittsburgh.

The Cumberland Evening Times, Cumberland, Maryland Saturday, May 9, 1925


Hagerstown Daily Mail and Cumberland Evening News

The newspaper articles were provided by the great granddaughter of Emanuel Athey, Martha R Murray.

May 1925

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Maryland, 1830-1940

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image